I'll admit, lately I've had times where I would question some things I heard in church, or in various thoughts of my faith..questions I felt that I as a Christian shouldn't necessarily be questioning ~ call it 'uncertainty' about some of the basic foundations of the Christian faith. And, it was kinda scaring me...Now, I'm sure that it's Satan himself putting those thoughts in my head. But, it still would bother me a bit...I would think - why in the world am I questioning things like this??
So, I kinda came to the conclusion that since I was having these uncertainties, I should do something about it to find answers to those questions. Which is what led me to make myself get in the practice of studying God's Word. I headed over to Jude 3 to see what kind of study book I could find. I ended up selecting a Beth Moore Workbook. I think ideally, this is supposed to be done within a group, because there's a video that goes along with it. But, I opted to buy it anyway, because it's set up that you study and go through the book 5 out of 7 days of the week, which seemed like something I could handle.
Something interesting that I am finding out just in my first "week's worth" of study sessions is that I don't know the full story of some of the Bible's most "famous" stories. Wow - talk about a hello...here I am saying that I have been a Christian, and I could spit off some of the basic Bible stories like the Creation Story, The Flood, etc. But, comparing my version of the story to what I've just read in the Bible...I have some pieces missing. For example: When God was searching for Adam and Eve in the Garden, they were hiding because they had just eaten from the Tree. They had sewn fig leaves together to cover their nakedness. However, I didn't realize that when God found them, He also made clothes for them (Gen. 3:21 The Lord God made garments of skin for Adam and his wife and clothed them.) All along, the 'movie' I would play in my head of Adam and Eve after this point, they would always be wearing the fig leaves...yeah, I assumed at some point they'd come up with something different, but low-and-behold...God made them their first official set of dependable clothing.
And, another example is that back from Sunday School, Noah and the Ark. Ever since then, I always thought that Noah took only 2 of every kind of animal on the ark. But, read Gen. 7:2: Take with you seven of every kind of clean animal, a male and its mate, and two of every kind of unclean animal, a male and its mate, and also seven of every kind of bird, male and female, to keep their various kinds alive throughout the earth. (Now, at some point, Noah would probably had an extra male or an extra female of the groups of animals....how would 2+2+2+2 ever equal 7?) But, wow...I almost didn't know what to think. My memories from childhood of singing songs and reciting Bible stories weren't 100% right.
As shocking as this is for me, I'm kinda amazed....first, that I didn't recognize all of this before now. And second, after my bout with "questions"...it's comforting to know that there is so much that God put in the Bible that He's just waiting for us to discover. And, I kinda believe He makes it that way. I mean, how in the world did it take me until I was 25 to notice those tidbits. I am curious as to what I'll find as I go on...
2.25.2009
Subscribe to:
Post Comments (Atom)

2 comments:
Hey Lisa...I found your blog through your facebook page and have been following along for a little while. This post made me wonder if you and Derrick are still in a small group? If not, you'd be welcome to come and check ours out and join our group. Let me know if you're interested. Hope you're doing well.
Michelle Smith
It's amazing how much you think you know...but you have no idea! I'll have to say you inspired me to do this myself! I have been looking for some sort of workbook that I could go through...I may have to look for the same one!
Thanks!
Abby
Post a Comment