skip to main |
skip to sidebar
day 2 in Rome

On our second day in Rome we decided to venture to the part of the city where the Colosseum is. (I think Derrick & Steve were the most excited about this...the big Gladiator fans that they are)
The giant Colosseum was pretty sweet to see...it was easy to envision the different "activities" that would have gone on there. And, it did kinda bring the movie to life :o)
But, my favorite part of the day was walking through the ancient Roman Forum. The Roman Forum was the political, religious, and commercial center of the city back about 2000 years ago. Rome's most important temples and halls of justice were here. It was the place for religious processions, political demonstrations, elections, important speeches, and parades by conquering generals.

These 5 images are of the Roman Forum...starting from one end and progressing to the other end. Kinda looks like a bunch of rubble, right? Yeah, that's what I thought the first time I looked at it, too. But amazingly, there's a method to this madness.
The Roman Forum was the political, religious, and commercial center of the city back about 2000 years ago. Rome's most important temples and halls of justice were here. It was the place for religious processions, political demonstrations, elections, important speeches, and parades by conquering generals.
We were very lucky to have been given the suggestion to download walking tour guides from a famous European tourist named Rick Steves (I highly recommend checking his book and websites out if you ever take a trip to anywhere in Europe)
There would have been no way that I would have been able to decipher what was what by reading through a book or looking at a map. But, having an iPod with Rick Steves as our "personal tour guide" was awesome! I ended up really enjoying the walk through this ancient "downtown" and being able to envision what it would have been like if I were a part of living back in that time peroid.
No comments:
Post a Comment